Sunday, October 26, 2008

Catholicism and Dorthy Day

I think that one of the main things that I have learned about Catholicism since coming to Loras, is the importance of the individual, this idea is also emphasized in the book we read for class. We always talk about how important it is that we contribute to those around us, and I think that sometimes it is hard for us to truly comprehend the impact that our actions make upon others. When I was younger, I went to a Catholic school and much of the volunteer work that we became involved in was in a group setting and usually was only a day project. I think one of the things I am enjoying most about our service opportunities in this class, is the ability to form lasting relationships with people. It's been so interesting to see how placing the emphasis on those you are working with, even above the actual work itself, yields such amazing results. I am working with kids in a local elementary, and the fact of the matter is that the kids do not care that I am helping them learn patterns or working on numbers with them, they are just excited to have someone there to spend time with.
One of the things that really stuck out for me with the Dorthy Day book (as you can already tell) was the idea that the whole basis for the Catholic Workers Movement was the idea of the individual and that the means to the end would somehow work itself out. So many times in the society that we leave in, we are jaded by things that seem good on the surface but have alterior motives. So many times we see charities or other foundations with the mask of christianity or sometimes Catholicism that we later find only contribute a small fraction of what is donated to them. There are many other examples, but I think the point I am trying to get at is recently these types of foundations or work gets discredited, and it is important to remember what it started as. The original idea was that when change was needed to benefit others, strides were taken by certain individuals to make that change because it was the right thing to do. So many people today worry more about making themselves look good through the work that they do, or the gain they themselves will obtain instead of the people that they are trying to help.

2 comments:

Nick Teson said...

Katie, I really like your viewpoint of Catholicism here at Loras. The emphasis on the importance of individual was an aspect I hadn’t thought of when trying to answer the question. Loras promotes the individual all around campus now that I think of it. You also mentioned that some of the kids you are working with in your service project are just happy to have someone to spend time with. I have definitely noticed that in my service too. Specifically, my buddy, Cole, is always excited the second I walk into his classroom. The teacher who organized the buddy program just sent out an email yesterday from him saying the kids are always talking about us and that they may not know all their numbers, but they know the time and day we come down to spend time with them. You made a good connection with Dorothy Day’s writings too. I definitely agree with the comment you made about people trying to make themselves look good instead of simply helping others. It seems as though that happens all too much and is often the main form of motivation to do service for many people.

Dr. John Waldmeir, Associate Professor, Loras College said...

Katie: I wrote a similar comment to this one on Amanda and Sara's blog, because you all used the term "individual" and I wasn't too sure what you meant. It always strikes me that Catholicism is the least individualistic of all Christian faiths. Many people in fact are frustrated that individual faith is swallowed up by the presence of the church--for them, it denies their individuality.

Maybe we can talk further about this point (feel free to clarify what you meant in another post here or in a post to my blog). Thanks. jw