Monday, November 3, 2008

Reflection On Service So Far

I am really starting to make connections with the kids and even the teacher whose room I am in, the more time I spend there. I have seen the kids out in public at the grocery store and they are always so happy to see me-- so it is visibally making a difference. Lately there has been talk (of which I don't think I was supposed to hear) about the treatment of some of the kids by their parents at home. One of the employees saw a mother and son out in public and witnessed just horrible behavior of the mother in regards to the son. She said that the little boy was kind of ashamed about the behavior and tried to pass it off as if nothing happened when they both returned to school the next day. It is just so hard for me to imagine a child taking on something like that all alone.
We have also had some bad luck as far as some of the other aides (none from Loras) showing up on a regular basis and following through on what they say they will do. I have found that it is really hard not to want to show up, and have actually considered volunteering next semester in the same classroom as well, because I am really getting attached to the kids.
As we were on our way to the school the other day, we actually got to take Kneist Street for a little ways, and it is so hard to imagine that soon some of that will not even exist anymore. I started to wonder as we were driving if any of the kids from class lived there, and if they did what would become of them-- like where would they go to school or where will they end up living?
Like I said, so far I have had just a really positive experience with this project and it is something I would have never done had I not had this class. It has made me wish that I would have gone for teaching instead of psychology :)

1 comment:

Dave Arens said...

Wow Katie. It sounds like you have nothing negative to say about your experience which is awesome. I know I commented on your blog a couple weeks ago and you sounded a little hesitant about the whole thing. I am glad you don’t feel like that anymore and you are enjoying yourself. Working at the Multi-cultural center I too have encountered kids who don’t have the perfect home life which is absolutely devastating. There is so much that you want to do for them but yet you feel helpless. I just like to think about it as maybe the attention they receive from us is enough to make them happy for awhile. Again, I have had the same feeling as looking forward to doing service and I have already blocked off an afternoon in my schedule next semester to volunteer. It is also sad to think that maybe some of the kids you are helping out with live on Kneist Street and it goes to show how this water project is going to affect a lot of people. I hope your experience continues to be positive and I am sure this is a class you will never forget.