Friday, October 10, 2008
This Weeks Service
This week I began at Marshall Elementary. Walking up to the building, I could not believe how different it was from the elementary school that I attended-- with the chain link fencing and the door locked to the public without first announcing who you are. I also notice that the surrounding area is quite different than the one surrounding my old school. Meeting everyone there was really fun-- I really think that I am going to enjoy this semester. The school itself is quite a bit smaller than the one I attended- and it is public (I attended private.) The library where I will be helping out sometimes, was very small. There also isn't an acutal cafeteria, instead they use the gym. I haven't really gotten to really interact with the kids I will be working with yet. However, I did get to interact with the staff and I think this will be a really great experience. They all seemed truly appreciative of the fact that people are willing to volunteer there, and we were told thank you over and over. As we get more into the semester, I think I will be able to talk more about the experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like how you stress the differences between your elementary school with this one. It sounds like it is a lot different and you will probably learn a lot from this. It will also make you realize how different your childhood was compared to these children. I am sure the fact that the faculty is very thankful and friendly will make your service experience a lot more enjoyable. Hopefully you get to work with kids soon and then you can talk about those experiences as well.
I also agree with Dave. It sounds like you'll have an enriching experience, especially since you're being very welcomed at Marshall. I grew up in the neighborhood nearby, and there are some children that will definitely appreciate your assistance.
It was also great how you compared it with your own school--it helps to let us know where you came from when entering this service opportunity. I hope things go well for you.
Post a Comment