This experience has been incredibly amazing for me. I have had such an amazing time that I have decided to continue in my volunteering next semester. Before this, I would say that I cared little about kids or being in that type of environment, however now I have an entirely new outlook on how everyone's persepective is important paticularly kids. I also realize after reflecting on past discussions and blogs, how before I was so wrapped up in my own 'story' if you will, that I rarely paid attention to the stories of others not realizing how the stories of others were so entwined with my own. I also realize now that by learning about others and including them in my life, that my own story becomes enriched. So often we are racing to the invisible finish line in life, not knowing exactly what that enatils that we miss the things that are truly important and actually make the experience.
I was debating at first whether or not I should take this class, but now there is no question that this has ultimately affected and changed me for the better. I have found friendships with people and learned that sometimes just being there for people, and caring about what they think makes all the difference.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Katie:
It was good to read that the class proved to be worthwhile and that the experience was especially valuable. Kids can both exhast and inspire you, and I'm sure you felt both during the semester.
I had hoped that people would use this blog post to refer back to their learning plans. The value of such an approach is that it forces you-- as a writer --to be more specific. Typically, that's always a good thing when you write. By telling people what goals you had set, you have a common frame a reference. That's really helpful when it comes time to discuss what you would have done differently.
jw
Post a Comment