Monday, November 17, 2008

The Invisibile Man

I think that it is sometimes very hard for one person to make a change within a society-- but I won't say that it is impossible because there are always exceptions. I get frustrated sometimes in society, because I feel like even if people know that change needs to happen or wants change to happen won't go for it, because it isn't the popular idea at the time, or they wait for it to become a trend. Like take this whole going green thing for example- five or even ten years ago who really cared about how much they wasted as long as they got what they wanted? But now that celebrities are 'going green' and it is suddenly the posh thing to do. The problem is, how do you make what is right or what needs to be done, popular? How does the idea suddenly catch hold of people, even when sometimes the need for it is so plain to see?
I think the reason why I feel like the 'invisible man' can no longer promote change in our society is the fact that as a whole we no longer value what we stand for-- they value what we appear to be. Everyone wants to follow what the celebrities are doing and care little to know the motivations behind their actions, and all too often we overlook many ordinary people we may pass by everyday who may have something really good to contribute- they are just waiting for someone to listen.

1 comment:

Nick Teson said...

I definitely agree with you that change can seem to be impossible at times. You brought up good points about why people won’t strive for change; such as it not being a popular idea at the time or not the trend. I hadn’t really thought about it from that aspect, and it definitely makes sense to me. It leads into your relation to the ‘green’ movement that has been happening the past few years. Your idea about people paying too much attention to what ‘celebrities’ say and not knowing the motivation behind some actions is true as well. There are tons of people out there who have very meaningful words and ideas, but for some reason people think they do not have the creditability to be listened to.